Tuesday, August 9, 2011

THE VICTORY TOUR...You're too big to go through!!!!





We had an uneventful, long, easy drive from Sioux Falls SD to Custer, SD. Thousands of motorcycles passed us, fields of sunflowers nodded their heads as we went by and the town Philip called me to come explore.


Well, I should correct that to say it was all of the above until about three miles from the park when Diane’s diabolical GPS took us onto the wrong road and sent us into recreational vehicle hell...or as it turned out just purgatory!!!!!


The road took us up over a mountain pass with hairpin switchbacks and steep climbs and no where for us to turn around. If that weren’t enough tension after hours of driving, the motorcycles were like swarms of cockroaches all around us!


We rounded a sharp turn near the top to find a TINY tunnel with signs warning it was 10’7” high and 10’6” wide, now the width was no problem but the height, oh holy shit, what am I going to do??????


There really was only one decision to be made, either sit right there and don’t move and picture a huge helicopter coming to pluck Saffire off of the mountainside or go forward.


Diane’s trailer is slightly shorter and narrower than Saffire. She was first rig so she took a deep breath and went right through. I watched her progress closely and decided they lied about the height of the tunnel and that Saffire would most probably make it. I was afraid of losing my a/c, but what choice did I have. I pulled in the mirrors, told Saffire to hold her stomach in and squinch down and pretend she was still eligible for the child’s discount, and she must have listened because we made it through by a hair’s breadth.

I am not a nervous driver, but that situation nearly stopped my heart!


Now we are in a beautiful campground adjacent to the lake in the picture and a gentle rain is falling. There are deer but no buffalo in the campground to be seen. I haven’t done a thing today but get up and drink coffee. Planning on walking the lake trail and we’ll see what the day brings. The weather is cool and the air is crisp, should be a great day!


2 comments:

  1. Yeah for you guys! I emailed a picture of the tunnel you went through. I had goose bumps thinking of you as I watched!

    So you'll really feel good with your cool, crisp air--it's hot and humid, here, with no end in sight. Blah. Hate it. What a difference a year makes.

    When we were in the grasslands, no bison in sight. I was walking with Lizzie, and over a rise came a massive beast. I thought I bought the farm--was going to send Lizzie running to Rich a half-mile to a mile away, but we waited it out. Stood there eyeing each other until he turned around and left. I wouldn't have been here if it had been Jack with me instead of Lizzie!

    Very next day a man was gored to death in the same spot/area. Be careful.

    Have a great time, gals. It will be so much fun to follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll be calling me the PITA, but I meant to say I sent you video.

    I was just thinking back--don't miss Deadwood if you can help it.

    The whole town is on the National Historic Registry. Okay, that's it for the day. Just wish I had a running video of what you are doing. I want to jump in the trailer and go west, NOW! So frustrating!

    ReplyDelete