Friday, February 10, 2012

DAUPHIN ISLAND DAY






Deb returned from Birmingham and joined Janis, Jeanne and myself for the ferry ride to Dauphin Island today. I had expected it to be a very windy, cold trip over but it was beautiful! There's just something about being on the water.

It's about a forty five minute ferry ride which took us close to several of the drilling platforms in the Bay. I think the people from Star Wars patterned some of those creature things that I can't remember the names of from the structure of the drilling platforms. I can't help but think of Star Wars every time I see one.

We visited the Estuarium Research Center on the island. They had a miniature aquarium, the coolest thing was a tank with jelly fish swimming, very other worldly looking.

We had initially planned to go to Bellingrath Gardens but the threatening rain postponed that for another day. Deb took us to Ed's Shrimp Shack in Mobile for lunch. I think it was the best fried shrimp and grits I've ever eaten.

Janis and Jeanne leave tomorrow. It's been fun having them here. We've had some wild evening playing cards and games. It's going to be quiet here next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment