Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Tuesday, Lathrop State Park, CO







Nancy saved Teddy’s life today! When we got up this morning he was just not himself. He was listless and his eyes were dull and I couldn’t get him to drink. I didn’t want to overreact but the altitude has been affecting all of us and I was afraid he was getting dehydrated. Nancy (also known as Dorothy because the winds follow her, and Just In Cast because she always has everything you could ever think of needing) had a hypodermic I could put water in and squirt into his mouth. It did the trick, and after sleeping while we drove today he was back to racing around like a fool with Tucker.


Today was a day of parting. Deb left first headed back to Gulf Shores, hoping to arrive in time to attend an auction at her condo complex. Nancy is staying two more days in Taos and then is headed to Chama, then on to Las Vegas where she will meet her daughter Susan.


Luanne and I left Taos and headed north through Questa, NM and on into Colorado. It was a wonderful drive. We went from huge, open vistas with snow covered mountains looming in the distance to a long pull up the mountain pass and a very fast trip back down.


Coming out of Taos I saw the most amazing purple and brick red house..I just wish I hadn’t been driving and could have gotten a picture. In the middle of nowhere a church perched on the top of a peak, the Way of the Cross. I’m going to have to find out more about it.


As we came down out of the mountains there was large rock to the left of the road with a deep cleft in it. As we came alongside I saw statues and candles lining the wall, it was a roadside shrine.


Just a bit further on was a perfect FedEx commercial. One of their trucks was zipping along a dusty, lonely ranch road back to the highway after making its delivery.


The winds were kicking up when I saw a huge bolt of lightening high in the sky that appeared to touch the ground in the distance. Just about then I saw our turnoff to Lathrop State Park in Colorado, and I was glad we weren’t going to drive into the storm.


This is a beautiful park, the view out my bedroom window is the lake with the snow capped mountain as a backdrop. The lake is full of fish, if we were going to be here longer I’d have to buy a license. We took a walk and the dogs played in the lake for a while. There are all kinds of wildflowers blooming here in a whole host of colors. I think the bluebells are my favorite.


Luanne came over and we finished the last of the margaritas, agreed that we really enjoyed traveling together (really!! not the margs talking), had left over chili for dinner and called it an evening. It’s about 7 and Teddy is chasing balls in our small space, Luanne, Tucker and Jeepers are in the A with their wind rope on. It should be very quiet and very dark here tonight.


Addendum...Wednesday morning

Quiet, no way Jose!!! The winds came up almost immediately after we went to bed. I kept expecting Luanne and Tucker to show up at my door. Saffire was rocking and I knew the A had to be much worse. We think these may be the worst winds of the trip.


I finally fell asleep after closing everything up tight and saying my prayers!! This morning Luanne said she didn’t sleep at all. That wind strap was the only peace of mind she had...oh, and the trees. Both our sites are lined by pinon pine trees which did serve as a bit of a windbreak. She says she got out of bed to double check the latches as she was afraid they were vibrating loose in the gusts.


Now....next challenge...closing the A as it is still gusting upwards of 50 miles an hour.


3 comments:

  1. Well, you didn't take the wind with you, you left plenty for me last night, and then when I got home from exploring, today, we had a boomer of a storm, straight line winds and torrential rain. It was fun. I had come back from a ride, exhausted, went to sleep and only opened my eyes long enough to make sure the camper was still upright.

    Glad Teddy is feeling better. People will be thinking I'm a druggie. It was a medication syringe NOT a hypodermic needle, silly.

    Glad I didn't pull out of here, today. If I had half a brain, I'd be hooking up, tonight, but I'm going to wait until morning.

    Glad you found beautiful parks to stay in. Safe home. Let me know when you land, and tell Wilson to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nancy,
    I swear you are Dorothy and Toto! You just can't get away from these winds for anything. Colorado Springs is beautiful and we are enjoying the fact that the winds aren't howling and drowning everything out. It was really a relief after last night. We've decided to stay another night and spend day walking and Luanne biking at Garden of the Gods.

    Be safe tomorrow, and think about staying put one more day if the winds are still wild.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strange that I couldn't leave a comment under your last post. Beautiful pictures of Garden of the Gods. I about died about the T-Shirt. I'd love to get a t-shirt with the same on it.

    Have a great time, tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete