Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Sleepless in Hunting Island





I had one of those nights last night, very light sleep or no sleep at all! This happens at home too, but I don’t have the night sounds there to compensate for the lack of sleep.


With my window open, I listened to the sounds of the ocean surging and retreating. As I lay there, I noticed a subtle difference in the sound which built to a crescendo as the high tides crashed onto the shore.


The occasional breeze stirred the palm fronds, making them sound as though a taffeta skirt were swishing outside my window.


The raccoon we saw scurrying under Saffire when we returned from our evening walk returned with thumping and scritching noises.


Luanne was up before the sun rose, taking her coffee to the beach. I waited for the warmth of the sun and two cups of coffee before I joined her for a long walk.


It is a perfect day here, in the low 70‘s with bright sunshine and a soft breeze. Luanne is developing the “Hunting Island Crouch” in her pursuit of shark’s teeth. The first prize was found today, a tiny little tooth. I’m hunting shells with holes to use in my weaving project.


We’ve been back and forth to the beach all day, Teddy is becoming a sand hound.

Watching him run on the beach is guaranteed to bring a smile to your face.


Have to go, the tide is receding and it is prime “Hunting” time!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Are you sure it wasn't Wilson wearing her taffeta skirt again last night?

    Your words paint such a beautiful picture of Hunting-this is definitely the time of year to be over on the Carolina/Georgia coast (October, too). The pups look happy as they could be-how I wish Jack could be there. I miss the laughter.

    Have a great time. Say hi to Deb when she gets there. Tell her to keep an eye out for Mountain Lions.

    Be careful with the raccoons-one darn near got into my trailer when we were there.

    If it helps, it's raining in Atlanta. I'm sure you've already looked up Kirkwood, and you're gloating.

    ReplyDelete