Monday, March 7, 2011

Inspiring Words

I've just visited with an elderly friend who recently moved into a nursing home. Although it is a lovely place, it is still a nursing home.

She told me the following story:
"When I was four years old my Mother put me into a dance class. I was a tomboy, not especially graceful. When it was time for the recital, roles were assigned. My age group were cabbages and flowers. I was a cabbage. We went onto the stage, the cabbages squatted down while the flowers gracefully waved in the wind. I HATED IT. Afterwards, I told my Mother "I will never be a cabbage again".

She has spent the ensuing 91 years determined to be a flower. She is carrying that same attitude to her new living arrangements, she can either be a cabbage and rot in her room, or she can be a flower and open a new chapter in her life.

I think this story has a wonderful message. I am going to take her lesson and always try to be a flower!


1 comment: