Sunday, March 20, 2011

Our Own Oddities











The St. Louis Post Dispatch used to run a series called “Our Own Oddities”, homegrown tidbits of things like a potato that looked like the Pope; twin sisters having twins the same day; fifteen pound tomatoes, you get the idea.


Wednesday provided Hunting Island oddities we could have submitted.


Our morning stroll on the beach headed for the lighthouse. We rounded the corner and I thought I was hallucinating! There, on the dune, was an ebony black grand piano and bench!


I was in Key Biscayne a couple of weeks ago and immediately thought of the kids who pulled a prank by putting a grand piano on a sand bar in the harbor. Turned out it wasn’t kids, but a group getting ready for a photo shoot.


We returned from the walk to find Bama Deb set up and ready to play golf. She’d just driven for hours, spent a short night in a campground on the FL/GA border but rolled in ready to go.


We had scoped out a par 3 course the day before, only to find a hay field with holes lain in rectangles for a course, the uglies thing I’d ever seen. After a little searching we found a really nice course at Lady’s Island Country Club, just 20 minutes from the Island. Because we’re still off-season it is only $25 for 18 holes with a cart!


We had so much fun, and I guess the oddity here is that I actually had a few good, solid shots! None of us is quite ready to join the Tour yet.


We walked the beach again when we got home and had some dinner.


We were sitting around chatting and Luanne wanted another beer, so walked over to her camper. She was shocked to find the door wide open!!! She says she slowly walked up to see who was inside and came face to face with a fat raccoon who was not the least bit fazed by Luanne’s appearance! He had eaten the dog food and was doing a little shopping around for other tidbits when he was disturbed. She reports he simply waddled out the door and headed for the trees when she appeared.


Thank God she didn’t have Tucker with her when she went over. It could have been an ugly end to the coon’s dinner.


So, enough ODDITIES to fill a column today. Tomorrow is supposed to be beautiful and we’re planning a quiet day at the beach.


Tomorrow is March 17th, both my Dad’s birthday ( a true Irishman born of Irish parents on March 17th, 1917!!) and St. Patrick’s Day. Corned beef and cabbage is on the menu.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Oh, Wilson! I got the scare of my life over there when Jack and Lizzie were in the trailer and I opened the door and there was a raccoon deciding he was coming in. He wasn't moving even with my shrieking. I quick slammed the door, but Jack jumped down off the bed, pushed by me and the door and the raccoon stood his ground for a moment, but then decided to head for the nearest tree. A young fella, camping across the way in a tent, came over and said he was just starting to come over to my site to try to chase it when he saw the door open. I don't even want to think about what would have happened if the raccoon had gotten into the trailer with the pups. They are nasty critters. Jack seemed proud that he treed his first raccoon.

    Glad all as okay. Hope you enjoy every moment for the rest of the time you are there. Oh, how I wish...but, "If wishes were horses, then beggars could ride."

    Keep the blogs and pix coming; I love them.

    ReplyDelete