Thursday, September 24, 2009

Teresa's day







Corrections and additions from previous blog.....the bird wasn’t JUST a bird, it was a Turkey Vulture. According to Teresa they are ESPECIALLY ugly and it would not have been a happy splat for her new kayak.


second....Teresa took all the pictures at Devil’s Well, I didn’t bring my camera!


third....Deb said that what we did was drive kayaking, so the new term is dryaking!!



So now for today. We had a great campfire last night, everyone had a hand in it, most especially Joanne who taught us how to “whack” a fire to make it burn. Ask Teresa to demonstrate at the next campfire.


And speaking of Teresa, after a little libation she began to expound on her observations of the male species in polypropylene waders. She was very descriptive and even demonstrated the wader waddle for us. Be sure and ask her about it too at the next campfire.


We’ve a new camping “must have” courtesy of Deb. She has a cooler on wheels, which has many functions...cooler, water toter, table, grocery hauler, mobile fishing dock.


Diane this morning thought she had channeled Nancy at Douthat, her head didn’t feel quite so good and she was wondering if she had said anything inappropriate, can you imagine that in this group?


We actually lasted past quiet time last night, the rains began again as everyone settled into their beds. It has rained pretty steadily though not heavily since.


This morning Cheryle and Jenni broke down their tents and headed off in the rain for Asheville. They thought they would stay at a motel tonight and try to dry out. I can guarantee I wouldn’t have been as cheery as they were taking down all that wet stuff.


Diane just can’t stand to head back to DC quite yet, so she has signed on for an extra night. Her site wasn’t available, so this morning we turned into a house moving crew. Luanne and I are quite experienced at this having moved Nancy a whole campground over when we were at Babcock. She was in her new site before she even knew it.


Now picture this, there is NO traffic in this campground. Diane hitched her open camper and started driving down the road. Suddenly there was a traffic jam, must have been five cars lined up behind her. She did a stellar job backing in, we were all impressed.

We each took a corner of her screen room and toted it down, so now she is in the enclave. Deb is the only one up the road, I told her if she’d take a shower once in a while we’d let her join us!


After the move we decided to take a drive into Salem for lunch. It was raining so, why not. Diane, Deb, Luanne and I came out with small purses or $$ in a pocket, Lady T came with everything she deemed important in life, from her Garmin GPS to her notebooks containing lists of books she’s read and wants to read!!


We found a diner that belongs on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, the Main Street Cafe in Salem. Everything we had was great, but the pies...wow! Teresa said we certainly observed a lot of local color!!


After much debate, we all gave in to what Teresa wanted and stopped at an antique shop. This must be Teresa’s day, she’s in the blog a lot. The shop was incredible, truly, I’m not an antique shop person but this was beyond words. Look at the pictures I’ll post and you’ll understand just a little bit what it was like.


Our next stop was a beautiful little Catholic Church, St. Jude. Must be a mission church, has Mass at 3:30 Saturday afternoons. It is a charming little log church in a beautiful glade, surrounded by a split rail fence. Interesting as we walked there were four of five of us who’d been raised Catholic, and Luanne and I both had 12 years of nuns.....maybe that what’s wrong with us!


We returned to the campground, had a very short walk before more rain came, and now Teresa, Luanne and I are sitting under the awning. Deb and Diane are napping, Jeannie and Joanne have been sleeping all day. It’s one of those days, but it is supposed to be bright sunny Friday and Saturday...here’s hoping!


Correction already!! Diane has just shown up under the awning, it is raining HARD, and she WASN’T sleeping, she was cleaning and reestablishing her household.

2 comments:

  1. A turkey vulture!!! That would have knocked little Lady T right out of her kayak!!! I can't believe you didn't bring a camera, Princess. WHO doesn't bring a camera camping????

    I was thinking about y'all (that's for you Deb) last night and wondering what shenanigans were going on around the campfire. I can't wait to see a "wacked fire".

    I believe that Deb is probably the only one who does drive a kayak. You need to get her a steering wheel--wouldn't that turn some heads!!!

    Lady T--homecoming queen and cheerleader imbibing? Why, why, why...I'm horrified!!! Oh, durn, I'm missing so much fun. I've learned after all the times camping with her that she is indeed an observer. I often wonder what's going on in her head when I see her grin. I will definitely want a demonstration. I'm not sure, however, whether SHE was in polypropylene waders or the sample male species were in them.

    The cooler on wheels! We had one of those once, and it had umpteen uses, as you say. I've thought about getting another one, but I've just about topped out on things I have in the truck. I did organize, however. I don't know if that's good or bad, yet. We'll know the next time when I have a bunch of give-aways.

    Diane, if you had been channeling me, you wouldn't remember a thing except peeing in yer pants because two heartless witches pulled you to your feet before you were ready, pitching yer undies out the trailer door, and and closing the blinds as Pantless stared at you butt nekkid. If you topped that, my hat is tipped to you. I have always wished I could remember the rest of the evening. You have no idea how relieved I was to see you and Julie, again. I thought for sure I had chased you off for good. Then, at Skidaway, I realized I had nothing to worry about--you're as capable of mischief as any of us.

    I hope Cheryle and Jenni have a good trip over to Asheville. I probably would have just left the wet tent, calling Mother Nature a whore as I drove off. I give them points for their cheerfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess I got too gabby. Part 2 of post.

    Diane, I can empathize with you. I have never been moved so fast in my life as I was in Babcock. My head was spinning. Of course you had an added element--towing your Aframe all set up. People's mouths must have been open! Remember when we moved Laraine's tent on the back of my truck at Skidaway?

    I will never figure out how Lady T stays so organized, and yet has everything she needs with her. As far as books--I bought two more of Chelsea Cain, Teresa. I need to give "Heartsick" back to you and give you these two if I've finished them by the time I ever get out of this house for more than a day. I have to say, they are along the line of Hannibal Lecter, but entertaining.

    I was baptized Catholic. My Mom was raised by nuns and my Dad was Catholic. She'd invite them to stay at her house, and then call me and ask if Rich and I wouldn't mind having them stay at our house for a week or two. That was after they they were required to travel two by two. One of my favorites, Sister Anna Loretta and I used to play cards at night when the kids were asleep and Rich was traveling. She cheated like crazy. I told all the neighbors she was my nanny. That was in the day when they wore habits and were covered from head to toe. As far as why they had no affect on you and Wilson, Princess, it was probably because you didn't go to confession and do your penitents and the devil got you.

    I can't believe you don't like Antiques, Princess! My house is filled with flea house buys and some bona fide antiques, including me. My oldest son, John, has so many interests and collections. We call him the curator--The other two just roll their eyes--to make their lives miserable I tell them that they'll need to go through everything because I've hidden stacks of money everywhere! Heheh So, did anyone buy anything interesting?

    Well, I'd better quit for now. So nice to read--thanks for the blog and the laughs--I'm enjoying your camping trip. I'm glad you're going to see more good weather. I can't tell you how badly I feel that I had to miss all the adventure, but I'm so glad I can read about all the fun.

    Love the pictures. Can't wait to see more. Oh, we're all high and dry here in Atlanta--some unfortunate folks not so much.

    One sad note. Pantless' daughter's dog, Trident, died suddenly. Patricia was crazy about him. Dixie called me and was unaware that I didn't know. Of course, you know Patricia, she didn't want to say anything because of Lizzie. Fortunately, it was fast. He was a young dog so it was long before his time. He wouldn't eat until Pantless arrived at the kids' house every morning, but was smart enough to know when it was a weekend. They don't really know what happened to him. RIP, Trident.

    ReplyDelete