Sunday, September 27, 2009

SNAKE run for your life!!!!


The rains continued so we had movie night at Saffire Thursday night. If there had been any more of us we would have had to have a second sitting! We saw "Taken" and "The Greatest Game", and with hot buttered popcorn we had a full house for the showings. We were really glad to have something to do because it was wet and blustery outside.

Because of the heavy rains there was no more kayaking, only dryaking for us today! So Friday we decided to go down to Baptist Camp for a picnic and playing in the river one last time. Diane and Reileigh were especially happy about the outing. When it was time to leave Diane had to pick her up and put her physically into the car. She came into her own as a Lab this trip, outdoing even Tucker in the water.

Luanne says she would have had another fish....she had one on and said she was just "a smart but" wanting to show off and was hollering for Deb to look and the fish just slipped right off! It was awful!

Deb and I played a game of Scrabble, I'll let her tell you who won.

A fish report since I forgot to say I caught three nice trout one afternoon and Luanne was ready to give up the sport as she didn't get a bite. She went Saturday evening and is back to being an aficionado as she had two when she was out. Now Deb on the other hand......she took off the waders before I could even get a picture! She says "fightn that water is hard work" and "you put that tippet on and I had ta break the line and it was over afore I started" I guess I don't have to be explicit and tell you that she caught no fish!

After we left Baptist Camp we decided to go walk into Montauk Spring. It looked like a short walk so we all took off in sandals and had dogs along. We had hardly started down the path, Teddy and I were ahead when I felt something soft moving over my foot. I looked down and could hardly breathe when I saw it was a snake!!!!!!!!!!! Somehow I managed to stay semi-calm, just wanting to get myself and Teddy away and warn everyone. We all stood back with goose bumps covering our bodies watching this poisonous Copper Head slither across the path and into the woods. I then began screaming for paramedics, the helicopter rescue, knew the little scratch on my foot was a puncture wound, it was AWFUL!

Believe it or not we continued down the path and Luanne spots a Black Snake. With that I left the whole bunch of them and went back out to the paved lot. Look at the picture, I think it was five foot long, though my dear friends tell me it was closer to three!

We returned home and built a great fire in the afternoon that kept us cozy all evening.
We had a deluxe dinner, Diane grilled chicken and I fixed pasta with pesto, yum! Then, this being their last night and all we had to have chocolate martinis. Well, some of us had a bit more than others, and when the conversation turned to shushal shecurity it was about time to call it a night (and yes, you know who you are).

It wasn't Teresa, who was very quiet Friday night, was she already missing us or stressing about the drive to come?

Saturday morning dawned much too early as Teresa, Diane, Jeanne and her sister Joann packed to go. We were all out helping where we could and feeling very melancholy about their departure, we had all had such a great time. We were already talking about where to meet again and hoping it wouldn't be too long before we were all together in an even larger group.

Jeanne pulled out with scraping sounds in her trailer brakes and we were concerned for her.
Fortunately she had no problems and reported in from Clarksville TN Saturday night.
Teresa was next to report her arrival in Tupelo, MS and then Diane from Lexington, KY.

I went back to bed for an hour after they left, and only got up because Luanne and Deb came knocking, wanting help getting Deb into the waders. I stayed behind, cleaned up Saffire and sat and read for a bit. It was a quiet day for the three of us who were left. We went up and had a late lunch at the "A building" (that's what Luanne calls the restaurant) and came back to camp. Deb went to sleep, Luanne went fishing and I enjoyed my book the rest of the afternoon.

Deb brought meat for chili and when I cooked it up there was lots of fat so I poured it on one of the logs. Later, when I started the fire, we had a most impressive blaze. We sat there all evening, ate Deb's chili and were treated to a bluegrass concert by our neighbors. Their voices were nice, and the guy played banjo, mandolin and uke, it was great!

So now we come to Sunday morning, could we just forget this, leave it off completely? I guess I don't have a prayer, Deb and Luanne would tell. And Nancy will be so happy, she warned me!
I have never had as much as a drop when I dump that went where it shouldn't and today, well I'd say shit, but thank God there was none of that! The connection just wouldn't seal today, so it was a mess and Luanne was enjoying every second of it. I even had to change my clothes after I washed everything down with the hose (or in Deb's southern lingo Hose Pipe?)

So I'm glad to say after that we had an easy trip back to Kirkwood. Luanne and Deb are staying the night and will be able to go to their homes in a day from here. We're going to go into Kirkwood and walk around and have dinner later. Hoping to hear from the others that they have gotten home.

Diane most likely won't go to work tomorrow because I am sure her patch of poison ivy is very pustule and she certainly will need a day off.

So I think this is the end of this adventure. I am going to put my pictures together into a slide show for the attendees, and if anyone wants a copy email me your addresses.

Over the next few weeks we'll see if we can come up with a spot that is equidistant from DC, Tallahassee and Chicago, because these are the furthest points people gather. Teresa has suggested Vogel, so we'll take a look at distance and dates and get some plans going for next fall.

Hope you've enjoyed the trip with us!!!











1 comment:

  1. YES!!! You are an official member of the PURPLE GLOVE society. I'm not sure it counts if it was all yellow. Drat. You're just lucky that Pantless wasn't there calling out to everyone in the campground!

    Movie nights are always fun. (with the exception that you and I watched that time). Nice to be able to get out of the rain and have a few laughs.

    Reileigh reminds me of Lizzie when she was younger. Even now, she can't get enough of the water. She swam in the most beautiful lakes out west. I sure wish she could have been there.

    Did you catch and release the trout or fry them up? Uhm...my mouth is watering.

    What luck--bluegrass neighbors, hot chili and a fire. What more could you ask for?

    I just can't picture you staying calm about the snake. It's at least 6 foot long if you ask me. I think I read somewhere that not all copperheads are poisonous, but still...I would have been hollering right along with you.

    It's always sad when some start to break camp. I'm glad they checked in with you so that you knew they were safe, and glad you've let us know.

    Next to being there, I've enjoyed hearing the stories and I must say your descriptive writing allowed me to imagine the fun that you were having. Thank you, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete