Friday, June 13, 2014

We left Colorado Springs and the drive to Great Sand Dunes was worth all the angst through Kansas!  We had spectacular scenery with great white puffy clouds in a cobalt blue sky with snow capped mountains, what more could we want?!!!

We didn’t know what more we could want until the Sand Dunes loomed ahead surrounded by piñon forests and mountains.  This is the most spectacular place, if you are anywhere near you should come to see it.  

If you can picture the movies you’ve seen of the Sahara Desert you can get a bit of an idea what these are like.  Luanne was just at the Indiana Dunes and she is in awe of these.  They go on and on and on, the pictures I’ll post with this can’t begin to do it justice.  

The campground is great and we are all pretty close together.
This morning we hiked down the dune trail to the water which flows at the base of the dunes.  There were kids all over playing in the shallow flowing water and the dogs loved it as much as the kids.

Carly wore me out just watching her race around!  She climbed the lower dunes twice and still was chasing sticks when they got back.  


Time for a midday rest.  Thinking about a hike this afternoon on the waterfall trail.





1 comment:

  1. Love seeing you guys having fun. I'm getting mixed up - didn't realize there was writing with the pictures so posted under the first pictures. This landscape is not my cup of tea, but it seems to be agreeing with everyone in your "party". Smiles everywhere. I have to get my atlas out. I know Rich and I passed dunes in a few places, but I don't remember where. Keep on having fun and keep posting!

    ReplyDelete