Thursday, August 26, 2010

On the Road Again, The Amana Colonies





It was a picture perfect day as Teddy, Saffire and I pulled out of the driveway and headed for Iowa, a state we have never visited. We drove the backroads up through rural Missouri, stopping for a picnic lunch in Hannibal, the home of Mark Twain, Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. It was a beautiful ride through fields filled with ocher colored corn near ready for harvest and vibrant green soy beans. Teddy was a great traveler as always, sleeping most of the way on the couch over my shoulder.

I stopped at the Missouri information center in Hannibal and was pleased to find lots of brochures on the activities available in St. Louis. Just before I left on this trip we heard from the Zimmermann's, a family my granddaughter lived with for six week during her year in Germany.
They have a 13 year old daughter Lara and let us know they are coming for a visit in July, 2011.
We are all excited and my daughter had just sent them an email with links to all these sites, so now we can put a package together with the the printed material. A bonus I hadn't expected today.

The farms were neat and tidy, very much in the German tradition that most of these farmers descended from. One observation I made was that I don't think there were many architects in the area. The farm houses all appear to be constructed with the same cookie cutter plans...white clapboard two stories with a nice porch.

I thought of my friend Gail as I crossed into Iowa. The sides of many of the barns were painted in the design of traditional quilt blocks. I know she would enjoy seeing them.

We rolled into Amana, Iowa about three thirty this afternoon. After a stop at the Information Center, and yes, I couldn't resist, a stop at the bakery for a little dessert we headed for our RV park. It is a huge field, surrounded by acres of corn that has been turned into an rv park. It is GRASSY, my joy is unbounded in that after the dust in New Mexico, and the people are very pleasant. Saffire is one of the smaller units here, and looking around Teddy and I are about the only ones outside. It is almost cool sitting in the shade drinking a beer, quite a change from the weather we have had at home.

I'm planning to ride the four miles into town on the bike tomorrow for a little shopping. Should something beyond lunch and backpack totable tempt me we can stop and pick it up Saturday morning before we leave town.

Sleeping should be cool and pleasant. Will upload a few pictures and then Teddy and I are off for a walk!


5 comments:

  1. Hi Patricia,

    Glad you are on the road again. Enjoy your travels.

    Looks like an interesting place.

    Take care, Diane & Reileigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are exactly right, I'd love to see those barns. A thought about all those cookie cutter farmhouses-I believe Sears used to sell blueprints for homes,not sure about house kits, but maybe even that. 'Regular' and other not-so-wealthy folks would get their house plans from Sears! I'm envious, and am eager to hear all that you see on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm baaaack. I just had to double check what I said about Sears, to see if I remembered correctly. I did, and they did have house kits. Here is but one site to see what I meanhttp://www.antiquehome.org/House-Plans/1916-Sears/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you're right Gail. I checked your site and didn't see the exact ones but that would make a lot of sense, I didn't think of Sears when I saw them.

    There are a lot of Craftsman houses in the St. Louis and Chicago areas, they go for a lot of money today!

    There was a quilt shop you would have spent half the day in and drooled the whole time. Lots of fabric, patterns, threads, finished quilts, notions...when are you leaving for Amana???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't Iowa where "Bridges of Madison County" was filmed?

    And, no, you're blog isn't in reverse of mine, my brain is.

    They had started a quilt on the barns tour thing in Tillamook OR, but I never did get to do the whole tour.

    You're right, Patricia. Same here. Every time I see a quilt shop or anything to do with quilting or sewing of any kind, I think of Gail.

    Tell Wilson I said hi. This should be on the last post, I know.

    ReplyDelete